Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Solstice

Again: the photos in this post have nothing to do with the text. They are photos of the murals in the Palace de Gobierno de Yucatan depicting Mayan history. This is a very small sampling of the murals in this hall that is open to the public.

I need a gratitude practice. Something short and sweet to do over morning coffee.
An affirmation.
A man on his feet, because Mayan men are always on their feet.



























I pulled a Major Arcana card. It is The Tower and here are my thoughts generated by this card.

I am a seed that grew into a tree. Many things over the years nourished me and many left marks.

 Now, broken from my mould, I see many beliefs people have that they base on life lessons.
I have beliefs too.
In Mayan culture, the battle between good and evil is always between the Eagle (good) and evil (serpent).  This is a detail of a much larger mural.

Some of them no longer hold true.

There was a time I believed in Santa. There was a time I believed in The White Picket Fence. There was a time I believed children are born kind and honest. There was a time I believed I was an invincible immortal.

If I can learn from life enough to change these beliefs, then I can learn that any belief is subject to change.

Further, beliefs are limits; they create structure and they are personal.

Every individual carries their own beliefs, picks up new ones, puts down old ones and always by their own choice.
This guy has a name I refuse to memorize. He is the Catholic Priest who burned all the Mayan books and records. He then kept meticulous records about Mayan life and culture, so the archaeologists forgive him a little.

So when a belief no longer serves a positive function in your life, it is possible to simply drop it. Maybe not simple, but definitely possible.

New morning affirmation
I believe life is joyous!
Corn: the staff of life - this is a detail of a much larger mural.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love feedback.