Monday, November 28, 2011

Thousand Word Images

This is a man in authentic Mayan costume posing with tourists. I was fine until he started to do this "You're my Queen" thing. Yes, he really said that!
I am not anyone's queen, so this was a little embarassing - especially when I saw the photo. Sigh! There was a time I had one chin.



Before I show you the excavated ruins, check out the job they have to do for our viewing pleasure. I'll say one thing here about Mexico, rather than bringing in the heavy equipment they put people to work. I'm willing to bet that it's partly to be cautious and partly to keep employment up. You can't see it in this photo, but the stones near the top have numbers on them. I assume that's to put it back together correctly after excavation.





Here are some of the smaller buildings on the site. In total I think there were 10-15 buildings dug out of the jungle so far. Oddly, I didn't photograph the big acropolis/temple. Must have been the heat!


At the main temple, they restored some of the fine carving. All the rock in this region is this color, but most of it is covered by lichen, dirt, jungle and plant life.



This last photo is to prove I climbed the acropolis here. I'm not really fond of heights and these staircases are really steep... and made of rock. Gives a whole new dimension to the idea of falling down the stairs. But, I sat there and looked at the temple for a bit and decided I would not forgive myself for passing the opportunity. Again, can't believe I didn't photograph it.
Here's me at the top.


Don't I just look the conqueroring Gringo! LOL Going up was the easy part. But coming home to this made it better.


Stay warm and safe my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love feedback.